Friday, February 26, 2016

Keeping Current With Cultural Pressures on Teens

For some reason, this photo represents "too much to think about" to me, which is what I consider
to be the typical mental state of a teenager.
Yesterday morning I listened to a startling interview on the radio, about cyber-bullying and US teen girls:

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/25/468070389/social-media-and-teenage-girls-it-s-not-your-mother-s-adolescence

American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers

Nancy Jo Sales, author of this book and mom of a teen girl, gave some very sobering examples of how social media can be used to emotionally harass teens.

Since I work with students from age two through twenty-two I try to keep up with the things they may encounter at school and the other hours of the day.  Next time I interact with a student who seems distracted or emotionally frail I better remember that s/he may be thinking about the last, horrible text, tweet or post they received.

No comments: