Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Really Don't Love Spiders

What would I do without Ed Emberley books???  We took turns drawing a spider, sharing one pencil.  Students are so happy to be able to draw something recognizable that they don't mind the handwriting practice at the end, when they write the name of their creation.
 You can talk about top, middle, bottom, right, left, how many legs does a spider have on this side, how many on the other side, the spider's smile is wide--not narrow, the body we made out of a thumbprint is a sideways oval and not a tall oval, the spider's "string" comes down from the ceiling.....so many opportunities for talking about 2-D spatial concepts and directionality.

1 comment:

Me said...

I was just starting to use drawing with students more regularly. I like the idea of taking turns! I recently purchased "Draw Write Now: Forest Animals" which drawings are a little more complicated but still a good resource for treatment,