Monday, March 28, 2011

Custom Name Stamps

Name stamps purchased at office supply stores can be pretty expensive.  Here's a way to make individual name stamps that I picked up at a Letterboxing class I took with a little friend a couple of weeks ago.  See photos with designs of animal pawprints and baseball bat and ball.

Get a block of wood that can be attached to something that the student can easily grasp.  For my student I glued three parquetry blocks together.

Using a thin piece of foam (mine was about 1/8" thick) cut out letters for your student's name.  Glue these to the wood.  It took me 45 minutes to figure out how to arrange the letters so they would be in correct alignment when inked and stamped.  Duh.

Use non-toxic and, hopefully, washable ink in your stamp pad.

My student's name is pretty big, but he has lots of room on his papers to stamp his name.  The smaller the letters, the more difficult it is to cut out the little holes in the letters...

4-14-2011--Duh #2---You can create letters in pieces, like the Handwriting Without Tears sticks and half circles.  No wonder my quilting always ends up wrong, absolutely no spatial skills in this brain.








1 comment:

Lauren S said...

Love, love, love this idea.